Friday 9 December 2011

Quote 10 - Maurice Merleau-Ponty

"The body is much more than a tool or a means...it is our expression in the world." Maurice Merleau-Ponty


Maurice Merleau-Ponty was a phenomenological philosopher.

When I first read this quote, I thought that this was more relevant to Fine Art students. I still believe this, but I can understand it's relevance to anyone in the art and design world. I'm not entirely sure if I agree or disagree with this quote. I believe that, in the art world, the body is more than a tool or a means, you can express various emotions/expressions through the body, and you can instantly tell the way someone feels through their body language. You can also tell a lot about a person by the way they hold themselves. However, the body is an extremely important tool, and as a way of achieving certain means.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment